Reporting from such a big event was more than demanding. We’ve tried to cover the most interesting event, talks and announcements.
Because it was such a big event, we have tried to share just a short news and try not to miss something important from today’s tech world.
For the further information you can always go to the https://websummit.com/
- The CEO and president of Paypal, Dan Schulman , in his first interview since Paypal’s decision to incorporate cryptocurrency, was discuss how crypto will become an everyday payments tool, and also talk about the fact that the global pandemic has accelerated a number of trends, including consumers abandoning cash.
- The president of the European Commission, Ursula von der Leyen , discussed how the global pandemic has served as a catalyst for innovation, especially in Europe.
- Sir Ridley Scott has launched the trailer for GeSI’s Digital with Purpose campaign, a movement aimed at encouraging the global tech community to face up to the “crisis” of climate change.
- Portugal and Liverpool star Diogo Jota was speaking of manager Jürgen Klopp’s impact and howhis new teammates have helped him to a dream start at his new club.
- Breaking Bad duo, Aaron Paul and Bryan Cranston introduced their new mezcal to a worldwide audience.
- Facebook CTO Mike Schroepfer discussed the company’s efforts against hate speech and how their AI systems are aiding them in the process.
- Rappler CEO Maria Ressa joins Web summit to talk about how social media companies need to drastically overhaul their business models and take responsibility for their impact on society.
- RISE conference is leaving Hong Kong for Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia .
- Web Summit announces Tokyo 2022 event
- Portuguese Prime Minister António Costa presented Tottenham Hotspur manager José Mourinho with the Web Summit Innovation in Sport award – “the international mark of excellence in the sports business community”.
- London’s Mayor Sadiq Khan, Lisbon’s Mayor Fernando Medina, and Toronto’s Mayor John Tory spoke at Web Summit about the pitfalls of collecting large amounts of data and trying to protect citizens’ information.
- Jessica Alba , founder of The Honest Company , talked about the importance of representation from her setting an example as a rare female Latinx entrepreneur to the example set by United States Vice President-elect Kamala Harris to young girls.
- Facebook VP of global affairs and communications Nick Clegg discussed his advice to US president-elect Joe Biden on how to exert American influence on the global internet and what he considers to be the different values defining the internet infrastructure across the world.
- The Prime Minister of Spain, Pedro Sánchez, made an appearance at Web Summit to announce the introduction of a new Startup Act and the appointment of a high commissioner tasked with transforming Spain into an entrepreneurial nation by the end of the decade.
- The founder and CEO of Zoom, Eric Yuan , shared his point of view about how the way we work has changed forever, and why we’ll witness a new hybrid way of working when the pandemic is over.
- Tennis legend Serena Williams and Away co-founder and president Jen Rubio talked about the collaboration that Williams has done with Away.
- UN Secretary-General said the pandemic has exacerbated the digital divide.
- FedEx president and COO Raj Subramaniam talked about how the company is working with major pharmaceutical companies and the United States’ Operation Warp Speed to deliver the Covid-19 vaccine.
- European commissioner Margrethe Vestager said a few words about how Europe’s failure to build a single market has become one of the reasons that the United States and China dominate the global tech industry.
- Revolut founder and CEO Nikolay Storonsky spoke at Web Summit today about regulation and competition from the east, and from western banks
- Founder and CEO of Impossible Foods , Pat Brown presented us an interesting topic about the future of the meat industry and how he believes that they can replace the use of animals as a food technology by 2035.
- Web Summit: With funding from Apple, Malala Fund is conducting research to look at the impacts of climate change on girls and young women , and education’s role in building resilience to future crises.
- Actor Chris Evans spoke about A Starting Point, the civic engagement video-based app he launched this year, and why a neutral bipartisan site is needed in these highly divisive, polarising times.
Is it really Web Summit 2020 one of the biggest online event this year?
Some numbers and figures will we share in our next article.